Paying Family Caregivers through Medicaid: Self-Directed Care

by | Jun 30, 2020 | Medicaid | 0 comments

In a prior post, we reviewed how Structured Family Caregiving under Indiana Medicaid’s waiver services can compensate a family caregiver.  Another program under Indiana’s Medicaid waiver services that can compensate the family caregiver is the self-directed care program.

What is Self-Directed Care?

Rather than use a third party to provide Medicaid funded care, waiver recipients can hire their own attendant care providers under the waiver’s self-direct care program.  The recipient is the employer, but a fiscal intermediary provided by the state, provides training, maintains records of hours worked, processes payroll, handles tax payments, and assists with obtaining criminal history checks of prospective employees.

As of February 1, 2020, a spouse of the recipient can be a caregiver.  For most waivers, though, the legal guardian or parent of a minor child CANNOT be a compensated caregiver.

The Medicaid recipient determines how to spend the Medicaid funds allocated to his or her care, whether it be one individual or multiple individuals.

What are eligibility requirements?

To qualify for the Structured Family Caregiving program, an individual must meet the following requirements:

  • Be eligible for the Medicaid program. For more information about the Medicaid eligibility requirements, click here.
  • Be eligible for the Medicaid Aged and Disabled Waiver. To start the process to become eligible for these services, contact the Area Aging Agency that serves the care recipient.
  • Require assistance with at least 3 activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, eating, ambulation, or toileting).
  • Enter into a written Caregiver Agreement with the caregiver(s).

To be a caregiver, an individual must meet the following requirements:

  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Be deemed physically and mentally capable of performing his or her caregiving responsibilities.
  • Compose daily notes of care provided.

Self-directed Care and Structured Family Caregiving are just a few of the ways a family caregiver can be compensated for services rendered.  For other ways for family caregivers to receive compensation-including other Medicaid programs and VA pension, click here.  The Stinson Law Firm has extensive experience assisting families with obtaining financial assistance for home care, including compensation for family caregivers.  Please do not hesitate to contact us at 317-622-8181 or to start your plan for covering home care today.

Share This